June 15, 2012

“My best wishes and regards to Queen Elizabeth” in Hijazi style.

My take this week
“My best wishes and regards to Queen Elizabeth” in Hijazi style.



ABDULLAH AL ALAMI
Arab News - Thursday 14 June 2012
•Saudi entertainers performed at the British consulate premises in Jeddah to pay tribute to Queen Elizabeth II. Allow me to remind you about the strength of Saudi-British relations. There are more than 150 joint ventures between Saudi and British companies and around 30,000 British nationals are living and working in Saudi Arabia. The highlight of the event was when a Saudi group sang: “My best wishes and regards to Queen Elizabeth” in Hijazi style.
• A few weeks ago I wrote about the team behind the campaign “A Woman’s Journey: Destination Mount Everest.” I felt proud that the ladies successfully raised the Saudi flag at the mountain’s Base Camp on the last day of their trip. I feel sorry for the people who sent me hate mail for writing on this subject. I suppose many of them are not used to witnessing Saudi women’s achievements especially when the courageous ladies gained international attention.
• Today is the last day of the Pakistani food festival, the first of its kind in Saudi Arabia. If there is any food I like, it’s the authentic Pakistani cuisine. My favorite dishes are meat curries with rice served with roti or naan bread and masala stews with chapatis. The latest statistics show that Saudi Arabia remains a major destination for Pakistani nationals. Between 900,000 and one million are currently living and working in Saudi Arabia.
• Great News regarding the Riyadh Chamber’s President of the Board of Directors announcement to cancel the meeting with the delegation of Russian businessmen. I salute the Chamber’s courageous decision in sympathy with the Syrian people. I too denounce and condemn the suffering of the Syrian people who are being killed and tortured and I hope the Russian government would stop supporting the Syrian regime.
•Seventy Saudis made it to the 2012 list of the world’s most powerful Arabs published by Arabian Business. I want to give a special salute to Mrs. Reem Assad, who campaigned for improved consumer rights and for women to work in lingerie stores. Reem had a dream and it came true. Her aggressive campaign will help create some 44,000 jobs for women in this field. Among the other Saudi ladies who made it to the list are, Hayat Sindi, Samia Al Amoudi, Mona Khazindar, Eman Al Nafjan, Rajaa Al Sanea, and Basmah Omair. Well done ladies!
•Mothers with special needs children in Riyadh meet every two weeks to exchange ideas, goals, and talk about the challenges of parenting special kids. Children have structured activities in an enriched environment with the supervision of their mothers. Everyone is welcome to participate and below is their website:
http://www.facebook.com/SpecialNetworkInSaudiArabia
Tweet: A helping hand is only a click away.

No comments: